Soul of Shaolin
War time, a woman and her infant was stopped by the roving bandits. Before being cornered to jump over the cliff, she hid her son in the grasses, who was later found by Na Luo, a Shaolin Kungfu monk, as well as a broken jade as the identification.
As years passed, the child grew up and was named Hui Guang. Na Luo taught him very well. Miao Xing, the abbot of Shaolin Temple showed Hui Guang the jade and told him the story.
Depressed by the truth of himself, Hui Guang got drunk and provoked the other monks. Miao Xing and Na Luo grounded him in cave Bodhidharma, where he finally learnt that virtue is the real soul of Shaolin.
Looking for her son in a fair, Hui Guang's mother ran into a group of gangsters and got into trouble. Hui Guang and Na Luo happened to pass by and came to the rescue. Mother found the jade Hui Guang lost during the fight and followed him to the temple.
That night, Hui Guang finally met and recognized his mother. They applied to leave Shaolin Temple but according to the temple rules, Hui Guang must fight his way out.
The final opponent is Na Luo, who wanted them to reunion. Na Luo faked his fall to let Hui Guang win. Hui Guang finally resumed his secular life and left Shaolin Temple with his mother.
May 5, 2009, after being nominated for 54th Drama Desk Award on April 27, the opening show for "China on Broadway Day", Soul of Shaolin was nominated for 63rd Tony Award, as "Best Theatrical Event".
Certificates for "Key Cultural Export Project", by the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Commerce, the State Administration of Radio Film and Television, and the General Administration of Press and Publication.
Opened on Jan 15, 2009 at Marquis Theater on Broadway, seven performances were all sold out. Even standing tickets were hard to purchase for the last two performances. Jan 15, 2009 was then proclaimed "China on Broadway Day" by NYC and State of New York.
The show has been reported by more than 40 medias including: AP, New York Times, New York Post, Daily News of New York, Sidney Morning Herald, Television Sidney, Hindustan Television, Xinhua News Agency, People's Daily, China Daily and etc..
The show has toured in countries and regions including US, Australia, Italy, Norway, India, Korea Turkey, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan for more than 500 performances.
- Width: 12~15 Meters
- Depth: approx. 15 Meters
- Rigs: min. 25 (lighting included)
Please contact us to get the latest copy of Tech Rider for all the equipment details.
III. Cast and Crew 38 persons in total: Cast x 28, Cast Manager/Director x 1; Stage Manager x 1; Kungfu Director x 1; Lightingx2; Sound x 1; Set/Propx2; Costume x 1; Makeup x 1.
IV. Presenter's responsibilities:
- Cargo (1x40 ft ctn.) transportation between and among Zhengzhou and tour cities for the complete tour.
- The international travelling and local transportation fees for cast and crews.
- 4 single rooms and 17 standard rooms for 38 persons at 3 star hotel or above.
- 3 meals per day, and 1 extra meal after evening show each performance day.
- All necessary local insurance for all members during the complete tour.
- All equipments required for the show as listed in the tech rider.
V. Performances and Fee:
- 7 performances-6 evening (Tuesday to Friday) and 1 matinee (Saturday or Sunday).
- USD 30,000 per show, for 6-week resident performance and above
- USD 20,000 per show, for 30-show and above on touring
- A per diem for $30 per person per day, both cast and crew or management.